Tuesday, March 13, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Blood, Bones & Butter






Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef [Book]




















During the past few months I have been taking a “Food Memoir” writing class, and I've been enjoying it immensely. Not only has it reawakened my interest in writing, but it has introduced me to a wonderful group of people with whom I can now share my feelings, thoughts, and drafts on all things Memoir. Another aspect of the class has helped expand my world of published food memoirs. One of the most recent I have read has been “Blood, Bones & Butter” by Gabrielle Hamilton, owner of the much-lauded New York restaurant Prune. If my writing was one-tenth as good as Ms. Hamilton’s, I would be “money,” as they say.
In this beautifully written book, Ms. Hamilton details her journey, with all the literal and metaphorical twists and turns, that would eventually lead her to the present. It is a truly engaging story, sometimes blatantly gritty and infuriating, sometimes heart-wrenching, and it is crafted to perfection. The pages are virtually dripping with imagery so vivid, you feel as though you are in the story. There were many chapters that left me detesting the author, and thinking that I would never want to set foot in her restaurant. And just as often another chapter would bring me right back to wishing I could dine there immediately. This tale does very little to endear the reader to the writer, but I do recommend this book to lovers of food and lovers of good writing. 

No comments :

Post a Comment